Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A nice twist on asparagus and pasta salad. A quick easy dish with a light lemony, tangy sauce, but very fast. Pair this along a grilled piece of fish or chicken breast and this makes this a very nice easy dinner.
- 10 ounces penne pasta
- 2 lbs asparagus (ends removed and cut in 2-inch pieces on a angle)
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, cut on a angle in 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated (I like sharp cheddar)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (to cook the pasta in)
- 1⁄2 lemon, thin sliced
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, the dish (to season)
- Dressing -- mix all the ingredients and set to the side until the pasta and asparagus are cooked.
- Salad -- In a large pot of salted water, boil the pasta according to directions. Approximately 3 minutes before the pasta is done, add the asparagus until is comes out al dente. Now drain the pasta and asparagus. Rinse under cold water for just a few seconds to stop the cooking process and cool slightly.
- Combine -- Now toss the still slightly warm pasta with the dressing. Add in the scallions, extra salt and pepper and serve garnished with the cheese fresh lemon slices. A nice simple salad!
- Now this is a very light tasting salad with a very simple dressing. It doesn't have bold flavors, but subtle flavors which is a nice compliment to a fresh herb roasted chicken breast or piece of fish. This is all about fresh subtle flavors.
I used whole wheat penne. We enjoyed this with baked chicken. Fish would be nice too. I'd like to toss in thinly sliced rotisserie chicken breast next time.
I actually made this an entree. I also changed the recipe to make it vegan and added more vegetables and roasted them. To make this recipe vegan I used veganase in place of mayo, omitted the cheese, and used vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. I roasted asparagus, yellow zucchini, sweet corn from the cob, red bell pepper, and red onion. I cooked and shredded some organic chicken for my boyfriend, so he could add it to this pasta salad. Quick, easy and delicious!
very good side salad for fish. Used fresh asparagus from the farmers market.