A nice twist on asparagus and pasta salad. A quick easy dish with a light lemony, tangy sauce, but very fast. Pair this along a grilled piece of fish or chicken breast and this makes this a very nice easy dinner.
- 10 ounces penne pasta
- 2 lbs asparagus (ends removed and cut in 2-inch pieces on a angle)
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, cut on a angle in 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated (I like sharp cheddar)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (to cook the pasta in)
- 1⁄2 lemon, thin sliced
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, the dish (to season)
- Dressing -- mix all the ingredients and set to the side until the pasta and asparagus are cooked.
- Salad -- In a large pot of salted water, boil the pasta according to directions. Approximately 3 minutes before the pasta is done, add the asparagus until is comes out al dente. Now drain the pasta and asparagus. Rinse under cold water for just a few seconds to stop the cooking process and cool slightly.
- Combine -- Now toss the still slightly warm pasta with the dressing. Add in the scallions, extra salt and pepper and serve garnished with the cheese fresh lemon slices. A nice simple salad!
- Now this is a very light tasting salad with a very simple dressing. It doesn't have bold flavors, but subtle flavors which is a nice compliment to a fresh herb roasted chicken breast or piece of fish. This is all about fresh subtle flavors.