Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe creates an impressive vegetarian main dish for brunch, lunch or dinner or a fancy side dish to perk up your meal. I love the combination of flavours and a serving of cottage cheese on the side compliments this nicely. This will make 2 servings as a vegetarian dish or 3-4 servings as a side dish.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, in tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- Lightly grease a shallow baking dish; Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Steam asparagus until crisp tender; arrange in baking dish.
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in saucepan until golden.
- Add tomatoes, salt and thyme; simmer uncovered 15 minutes.
- Pour sauce over asparagus.
- Place slices of mozzarella cheese over top.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
I loved this recipe! I am always looking for new things to do with asparagus and this was great. I also added in some mushrooms because I had some that needed to be used up. I also had some cottage cheese on the side, as suggested. The bread crumbs sound like a nice addition too, maybe next time!
Pretty good, very easy. Thanks for posting.
Beautiful! I didn't steam the asparagus because i figured that the 1/2 hr in the oven would be enough. Added sliced mushrooms to the sauce. Served with Sackville's Spinach, Tomato and Feta Quiche Definately making this again :) Thanks for posting.