Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
I got this from Cooking Light, Super fast suppers. Most any cheese will work in this recipe. Blue cheese and mozzarella are especially good options.
- 2 cups sliced asparagus (2 inch)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (6 inch) pita bread
- 3 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Steam asparagus, covered, 2 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Rinse with cold water; drain.
- Combine oil and garlic.
- Brush over pitas.
- Arrange tomato slices and asparagus on pitas.
- Sprinkle with basil, pepper, and salt.
- Top evenly with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are golden.
Very easy to make. I would mention to make sure that if your pita bread is more bowl shaped, have that facing up so things won't fall off of it. Our pita was larger so we had to use a lot more ingredients, but it tasted great and we added a balsamic glaze after it came out of the oven. I think I am going to try this with other cheeses and meats!
These were yuuuuumy... a little difficult to eat gracefully but definitely tasty and quick to make. In the end, we ended up folding them and eating them a little like you would a donair! I just used parmesan this time around but next time I will definitely be trying other cheeses like blue cheese.