Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This quite possibly might become your favorite asparagus dish! I added in about 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder with the cayenne pepper when making the cream sauce but that is optional, and also the asparagus can be cut into half or thirds or just leave them in one piece in the dish, the choice is up to you, I sliced mine in half for this. This is delicious!
Top Review by Bev
Really delicious! The sauce went so well with the asparagus! I left the asparagus whole and used only a scant amount of cayenne which worked well. Thanks for another delicious dish, Kittencal!
- 3 lbs fresh asparagus (tough ends snapped off)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Place the fresh asparagus in a pot of water; bring to a boil, and boil for about 3-4 minutes, plunge into ice water or very cold water then drain well.
- Arrange the asparagus into the bottom of prepared baking dish.
- In a saucepan melt butter oven medium heat; whisk in flour and cayenne until smooth, whisking constantly for 1 minute;.
- Slowly add in half and half, whisking and cooking until thickened (about 2 minutes).
- Add in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, season with salt and pepper; pour the cheese sauce evenly over the asparagus in the dish.
- In a bowl stir the soft breadcrumbs with melted butter, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and paprika; toss to combine, then sprinkle evenly over the casserole.
- Bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.