Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
Cooking asparagus in the oven will give you a crunchy result and it seems to enhance the flavor. Use any of your favorite herbs if you don't like Italian Seasoning or omit herb altogether.
- 1 tablespoon lite olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus, washed, tough stems removed
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (good quality)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup course grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat an Oven proof pan (about 10") in a hot oven for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the oil& Italian seasoning.
- Coat the whole pan.
- Roll the asparagus in the oil to coat all sides.
- Bake in 400F degrees oven for 5-7 min Do not over cook!
- The asparagus should just be heated through but still very crisp.
- Remove from oven, drizzle with the vinegar.
- Add salt& pepper.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan (if desired).
- Serve immediately or serve at room temperature.
I thought this was very good. The recipe directions are very accurate and produced yummy, crunchy asparagus spears. I tasted a spear to test them when they first came out of the oven (before adding the remaining ingredients) and though they were rather tasty, but liked them less once I added the cheese and the balsamic vinegar. While the cooking method for this recipe is just about perfect, the flavor combination of cheese and vinegar with the asparagus may not appeal to all taste buds (even if you use quality cheese & vinegar, as I did). I plan to leave out both the cheese and the vinegar next time and may also stick a clove of garlic in with the spears as they roast for added flavor.
Bergy, this is absolutely delicious..Asparagus is one of my favourite vegetables..and I make a quick stove top using balsamic vinegar. But made like this and with the parmesan as well....it was superb. =)
Bergy, this is one easy, delicious recipe. I cooked mine for 7 minutes and it turned out perfectly crisp/tender. I love the balsamic vinegar taste. Of course cheese is always a winner. Thanks for giving me an alternative to steaming.