Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a wonderful cheesy asparagus side dish.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces or 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen asparagus, thawed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or 1 cup milk
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (more if desired)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 -2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 1-1/2-quart baking dish.
- in a skillet, saute the fresh asparagus and onions in 1 Tbsp butter until crisp-tender (about 8 minutes, less time for frozen).
- Transfer to a prepared baking dish.
- In a saucepan melt 2 Tbsp butter.
- Whisk in the flour until smooth; gradually add in the half and half cream OR milk, bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until thickened.
- Reduce the heat.
- Add in the cream cheese, 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (if using) salt and pepper; stir until the cheese is melted.
- Pour over the veggies in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter; toss with the Parmesan cheese (if using) and the bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake, uncovered for 35-40 minutes, or until heated through.