Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
If my memory serves me right, this recipe comes from a Taste of Home cookbook. If you are a asparagus lover, then this recipe is for you. Great as a side dish for a special dinner.
Top Review by MeGz6639
This recipe is delicious! I just used two pounds of fresh asparagus and one onion because that is what I had. I also added a few splashes of white wine to the cream cheese sauce at the end. It made it a little bit more elegant.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces or 2 (10 ounce) packages asparagus, cuts thawed
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 package cream cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, saute asparagus and onions in 1T.
- butter, until crisp-tender.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2 qt.
- greased baking dish.
- In a saucepan, melt 2T.
- Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 mins.
- ,or until thickened, reduce heat.
- Add cream cheese, salt and pepper; stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour over the veggies.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees, for 35-40 minutes, or until heated through.