Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My mother-in-law and I love asparagus this way.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus, cooked and drained
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 13 ounces mushrooms, drain but reserve broth
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 4 slices toast
- chopped pimentos, if desired
- Melt butter and stir in four, salt and nutmeg.
- Drain broth from mushrooms and add milk to broth to make 1-1/4 cups.
- Add to flour mixture and cook, stirring until thickened.
- Add mushrooms and heat through.
- Blend in sour cream.
- Arrange warm asparagus spears on toast.
- Top with sauce and garnish with pimento.
This make a very yummy quick and pretty light meal. I countered the butter with fat free milk and sour cream. Loved the small pinch of nutmeg and boy did it ever perfume when it hit the hot pan :D. Didn't have canned mushrooms at hand so I just sautéed some fresh cremini. Thanks for the recipe share Char