Recipe by threeovens
Asparagus and beef roll, seasoned with teriyaki sauce, and grilled. An extremely simple dish to prepare which makes an elegant presentation as an appetizer; it also works well as the main dish served over steaming white rice.
Top Review by Angela W.
This was amazing!! I chose a different type of steak I used a tri tip steak and thicker cut asparagas. I made 19 of these strips and literally no leftovers. Even my picky 9 year old loved it!!
- 24 thin asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup mirin or 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bunch green onion, greens portions only
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef tenderloin
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat grill pan until hot; bring salted water to a boil over medium high heat in a saucepan.
- Blanch asparagus spears for 1 minute; drain and plunge in an ice water bath to stop cooking.
- In a small saucepan combine soy sauce, sugar, mirin (or dry sherry), ginger, and garlic; heat over medium heat until reduced and slightly thickened; set aside to cool.
- Cut green onions in fourths, lengthwise, so you have long strips.
- Slice beef in 1/4 inch slices, then pound to tenderize and thin out.
- Dip beef slice in soy sauce mixture and place on a clean work surface; season with pepper.
- Place an asparagus spear and a piece of green onion on the beef slice and roll up.
- Do the same with the remaining asparagus and beef.
- Grill beef rolls about 2 minutes until slightly charred and medium rare. Turn several times and brush with soy sauce mixture.
- Remove to a serving platter and drizzle generously with soy sauce mixture.