Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Asparagus and beef roll, seasoned with teriyaki sauce, and grilled. An extremely simple dish to prepare which makes an elegant presentation as an appetizer; it also works well as the main dish served over steaming white rice.
- Preheat grill pan until hot; bring salted water to a boil over medium high heat in a saucepan.
- Blanch asparagus spears for 1 minute; drain and plunge in an ice water bath to stop cooking.
- In a small saucepan combine soy sauce, sugar, mirin (or dry sherry), ginger, and garlic; heat over medium heat until reduced and slightly thickened; set aside to cool.
- Cut green onions in fourths, lengthwise, so you have long strips.
- Slice beef in 1/4 inch slices, then pound to tenderize and thin out.
- Dip beef slice in soy sauce mixture and place on a clean work surface; season with pepper.
- Place an asparagus spear and a piece of green onion on the beef slice and roll up.
- Do the same with the remaining asparagus and beef.
- Grill beef rolls about 2 minutes until slightly charred and medium rare. Turn several times and brush with soy sauce mixture.
- Remove to a serving platter and drizzle generously with soy sauce mixture.
Oh my goodness!!!! Sooooooooo delicious! And easy! Thank you, Ice Cool Kitty for posting our new family favorite! We served them on a bed of rice with the extra sauce on top; would also be excellent as an appetizer/finger food.
Instead of cooking the sauce first, I simply marinated the pounded meat in it as I was making up the rolls; then left the rolls in the sauce until they hit the frypan. After turning the meat, I poured the sauce into the pan to flash-boil and thicken while the meat finished cooking (about 1 more min).