Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This fast and easy side dish goes well with any meat entree. Or you can add strips of chicken, beef or pork to make it a quick, complete meal.
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 teaspoons soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Wash asparagus well.
- Break off bottoms and cut spears diagonally into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- In large frying pan, heat oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add asparagus, garlic and ginger.
- Stir fry one minute.
- Add sugar, cover and cook for 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in soya sauce and sesame oil.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve immediately.
We really enjoyed this, even without the sesame oil which I didn't have. I used extra toasted sesame seeds to compensate, and fresh ginger. Next time I'll try it with sesame oil and will add some shallots and chilli flakes. We had it on 2 min microwave Basmati rice, and there was enough sauce to coat it. Will make again!
We liked this recipe - even my daughter who only likes asparagus "hidden." She said the spices & mushrooms offset whatever it is she doesn't like about plain asparagus. I used margarine & omitted the sesame seeds. Might be a 4 1/2...!