Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a quick and easy dish that could be served any night of the week. It is also elegant enough to be served at a dinner party. I think the flavor combination of asparagus and mushrooms best accompanies beef, but you could serve with any meat of your choice. This dish could also be served over brown or white rice as a main dish vegan alternative (Note: This would reduce the number of servings from four to two).
- 1 lb asparagus, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup portabella mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons scallions, sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- To prepare asparagus, snap off the fibrous end of each spear and slice each diagonally into 2-inch pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until glistening.
- Add all ingredients to skillet; toss to combine.
- Cover skillet and saute for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until asparagus and mushrooms are tender. (Note: We like our asparagus crisp. If you prefer a more tender texture, cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.).
- Serve immediately.
This was super tasty. I ended up cooking the asparagus for like 4-5 extra minutes to soften it up just a little more. Really wonderful flavor- very balanced!
great combination of flavours, will be making this again.
Delicious! Definitely will be made again and I think the idea of adding a bit of parmesan sounds great. Thanks for such a simple way to prepare asparagus.