Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This sandwich is served at the famed Zingerman's Deli where it is called, "Rodger's Big Picnic".
- 2 slices farm bread
- 1 ounce smooth Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces asparagus
- 2 ounces grilled portabella mushrooms
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, sliced
- olive oil
- To roast the asparagus: Preheat the oven to 450°F and place the stalks in a single layer in a small roasting pan. Toss lightly with a little olive oil and sea salt. Turn occasionally for about 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown and tender in the middle.
- Spread each slice of bread to the edge with a little over a half ounce of the mustard.
- Top one slice with the roasted asparagus, grilled mushroom, and sliced cheddar. Close the sandwich and lightly brush the outside of each slice with olive oil.
- Place the sandwich in a hot skillet and grill each side for 2 to 4 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown—just long enough to grill the bread, but not melt the cheese. Cut in half diagonally and serve.