Recipe by Polly_Waffle_Kid
My great grandmother was no gourmet, but she sure knew how to cook (or so I have been told) and this recipe sure proves it. Please note: This recipe only serves 2.
Top Review by I'mPat
Outstanding - anything that gets my DM to eat her greens and lick her lips gets nothing less. Now I did divert a little using 200 grams of baby asparagus which I microwaved (900 watt) for 1 1/2 minutes and then tossed and did for a further minute and put in a square corningware baking dish. Made the sauce as directed (using the liquid from the microwaved asparagus) and poured it over the asparagus and folded it through and then topped it and put it in the oven for 20 minutes. Next time though I would omit the eggs and I think it could work really well with lightly steamed cauliflower. This fed 4 of us as a side to steak and other steamed vegetables. Thank you Polly_Waffle_Kid and your great grandmother, made for Edition 8 - Make My Recipe.
- 340 g asparagus, cuts
- 45 g butter
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- 125 g cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon French mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 60 g cheddar cheese, extra
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain asparagus, reserve half a cup of the liquid. Melt butter over low heat, add flour, stir until smooth, cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in milk and reserved asparagus liquid, stir until the sauce boils and thickens. Add the grated cheddar cheese and mustard, stir until cheese has melted. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add asparagus and chopped hard-boiled eggs to sauce.
- Place in oven proof dish, sprinkle top with combined bread crumbs and the extra grated cheese.
- Bake uncovered in moderate oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.