Recipe by Norelllaura1
I found this recipe in an Everyday Food Magazine and adapted it to my tastes. This is very good and I always make 2 and freeze the other.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (very cold)
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus (thin)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 lb leek, chopped, white parts only
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup gruyere cheese, shredded (or swiss)
Directions See How It's Made
- To Make the Crust.
- Place flour in a large bowl and cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add ice water 1 Tbs. at a time, tossing with a fork just until mixture begins to hold together.
- Gather into a ball and flatten into a thick disk, wrap tightly with plastic and place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove and flour surface and roll out into a 12-inch circle and fit into a 9-inch tart pan. Press against sides of pan to form a 1/4-inch rim above the side of the pan; cover and place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and line with foil and place 1 pound dried beans in bottom. Bake at 425 degrees F. and bake 12 minutes Remove foil and beans and bake 15 minutes until golden. Cool Completely.
- Spread asparagus on a large cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil, roast at 425 degrees F. shaking well at least once 1/2 way through (about 10 mins.) until they are tender. Cool and transfer to a plate.
- In a large skillet over med.-high heat saute leeks, garlic, dill and pepper until softened (about 5-7 mins.) Transfer to a small bowl and cool.
- In a med. bowl, whisk together cream, eggs, and leek mixture and pour into crust. Arrange asparagus on top of cream mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 425 degrees F. until filling is set and golden on top. (about 30 mins). Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.