Recipe by Kikimony
Have not tried this but it sounds very good.
Top Review by cirlincione
This soup is fantastic! Unique flavors from the white pepper and curry are attractive and give it the gourmet touch. All positive reviews so far with asparagus lovers and haters both raving fans! My 88 year old grandmother who "hates asparagus" put is aside to save for "tomorrow's dinner" :)
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 3 leeks, white parts only,halved lengthwise,rinsed,and cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam the asparagus in a covered steamer over boiling water until crisp-tender (Or, put the asparagus in a microwave-proof dish and add about 1/4 cup water- Cover tightly and microwave on high for about 4 minutes- Drain well; set aside).
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the corn and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt to taste; Set aside.
- Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and leeks; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the curry powder; stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add the vegetable stock, milk, and asparagus.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and stir occasionally as the liquid comes to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium.
- Stir together the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl until smooth; stir into the soup.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the soup is smooth and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; Season to taste.
- Top each serving with about 2 tablespoons of the corn-bell pepper mixture.