Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Lovely for a luncheon, different way to use Asparagus when it is abundant in the late spring/early summer. Can be served as an appetizer or a side with grilled meat or fish
- 3 lbs asparagus, trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 6 ounces goat cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- Cut tips off asparagus and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Arrange asparagus stalks on two baking sheets.
- Coat well with oil and sprinkle with minced garlic and salt. Roll around until coated with seasoning.
- Bake at 500°F 5-10 minutes or until tender crisp.
- Cut roasted asparagus into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- Reduce oven to 400°F.
- Melt butter in saucepan, whisk in flour and cook over medium heat 3 minutes.
- Gradually add chicken stock and Water whisking continually for 5 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat add goat cheese, lemon zest, 1/4 tsp salt and white pepper.
- Whisk until smooth.
- In 9 x 13 pan (treated with cooking spray) arrange noodles, breaking to fit.
- Spread noodles with cheese sauce.
- Top with half the roasted asparagus. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Continue to layer pasta, sauce, asparagus and parmesan, ending with noodles.
- In a bowl beat whipping cream with a pinch of salt and nutmeg until it holds soft peaks.
- Arrange asparagus tips on pasta, spoon on cream, spreading evenly over top.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of parmesan.
- Bake at 400° 25 - 30 minutes or until golden.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.