Recipe by Lakerdog2
I think this lasagna is wonderful! I absolutely love asparagus, and the taste of it with the sundried tomato/basil mixture is delicious! This is anything but your traditional lasagna! I made it without the pancetta and it was delish, but I am sure would be even better with it!
Top Review by Busy Lindsay
This tastes great! My husband and I loved it and enjoyed that is was not as heavy as traditional lasagna, however I used part-skim ricotta and part-skim mozzerella cheese. There is quite a bit of prep work involved, but it comes out beautiful - I bought Giada's cookbook with this recipe and turns out just the picutre. Just a tip - don't try to short cut this with no-boil lasagna noodle beause there is not enough sauce/liquid to cook them in the oven.
- 9 lasagna noodles (fresh or dried)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) jars sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 bunches asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes for dried pasta or 2 to 3 minutes for fresh pasta. Drain pasta.
- In a food processor combine the sun-dried tomatoes and basil. Pulse until the mixture is combined. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan. Set aside.
- In a large skillet brown the pancetta until crisp. Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, onion, and garlic and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add asparagus and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the ricotta, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, sprinkle some of the sun-dried tomato mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish. Place some lasagna sheets, then half asparagus mixture. Next sprinkle some mozzarella cheese and some of the remaining 3/4 cup Parmesan. Sprinkle with cooked pancetta. Continue for 1 more layer. Top with lasagna sheets, some sun-dried tomato mixture, mozzarella, and Parmesan. Dot the top with butter. Bake until the ingredients are warm and the cheese is melted, about 25 minutes.