A wonderful spring and summer side from down under. Found on aussiecooking.com
Make and share this Asparagus in Lemon Garlic Dressing recipe from Food.com.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, buttermilk, sour cream and lemon peel.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Cook asparagus in boiling water for 5 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
- Drain and rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Cover and chill until serving time.
- Toss asparagus with garlic dressing mixture.
- Sprinkle lightly with poppy seeds, if desired.
I added t teaspoon whole grain mustard and used 3 roasted garlic cloves. I also poured over string beans from the garden which I have lots of. I liked the tanginess of this. But needed to give a little heat so added a bunch of fresh cracked black pepper and a touch of salt. Made for ZWT # Thanks Mate!
Hubs gave it a three. I think it would be better if the garlic were sauteed before adding it. It was the raw garlic flavor that got to us. Also, we used a large garlic clove and I think we should have used a small garlic clove. The only other recommendation I have is that the sauce be warmed up before using. Made for ZWT8.
A matter of personal taste: the mixture of sour cream and buttermilk was too sour for my taste - but what do I know, I love asparagus plain or with a squeeze of lemon. The sauce did not add to the flavor of the asparagus for me. I used buttermilk from powder as it's hard to find fresh buttermilk around here; perhaps that took away from the sauce. We were hungry so I forgot to sprinkle the poppy seeds sitting on the counter, LOL. Made for The Wild Bunch for ZWT8's visit to Australia/NZ.