1/1 Photo of Asparagus in Creamy Orange Maltaise Butter Sauce
This is a recipes from a small book of great recipes called "Salads and Summer Dishes". I borrowed it and have made many of the recipes so far,with excellent results so this one is on the "to do" list. Maltaise sauce is a variation on the traditional Hollandaise sauce, but orange juice is added for a slightly different take, in flavour and colour to an old classic. Posted for ZWT REGION: France.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 450 g asparagus (1 lb)
- 1Wash the asparagus and snap off the ends to remove the tough part of the stalks. Tie the asparagus into bundles of 6-7 stalks and boil them for 10-15 minutes standing upright in a pan of hot water. Drain well.
- 2To make the sauce, in a small metal bowl or pot beat the butter, egg yolks, salt, pepper and orange rind together. Place over a larger pan of hot water and whisk in the orange and lemon juice cooking over a gentle heat while adding the butter a LITTLE at a time, so that it thickens, don't rush this, becuase if the previous amount of butter has not emulsified before the next lot is added, the sauce will split.
- 3Once it begins to thicken, remove from the heat and continue beating for a full minute, then stir in the cream.
- 4Mix together well, the orange juice should have turned the sauce a soft shade of pink. Pour the sauce into a sauce boat and serve with the bundles of asparagus immediately.
- 5Decorate the asparagus bundles with orange twists.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus in Creamy Orange Maltaise Butter Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.8
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 140.5 mg
- Sodium 19.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 3.6 g