What a great twist on regular guacamole! You could use sour cream instead pf plain yogurt. Feel free to experiment! Have fun!
- 1 lb asparagus spear, cut into 1 inch lengths (2 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (or low fat)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced (add more if you so desire!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- Combine asparagus and water in a 2 quart saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
- Rinse with cold water; drain.
- Blot asparagus with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Combine asparagus, yogurt and lemon juice in food processor or blender.
- Process till smooth.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine asparagus mixture and remaining ingredients.
- Chill, if desired.
- Serve with raw veggies or tortilla chips.
I had oodles of asparagus to use and came across this great recipe. I'm vegan so made the following changes. No yogurt--subbed in 2 T plain hummus. Also left out the oregano and cayenne going for a more traditional guacamole flavor. WOW! Crazy cool how great this tastes with just a tiny fraction of the calories and fat of regular guacamole. We'll be making this "Not-camole" a lot I'm sure. THANKS!
Asparagus lovers unite! This is a refreshing change from Avocado guacamole. Lovely with the chopped tomatoe to give a chunky texture. I used 3 cloves garlic, The only thing I would do differently next time is to add a few drops of hot sauce. No mistake this recipe is excellent as it is but some (me) like it hot. Thanks Sharon for a recipe that will keep them guessing
This was a nice surprise served with chips before dinner. Everyone was amazed that asparagus would make a nice guacamole. I imagine we'll be having this again. (: Thanks for posting, Sharon.