Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Everyday Food. This is very simple and works great as an appetizer. I have substituted swiss with good results.
- flour, for rolling out pastry
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 5 1⁄2 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded (2 cups) or 5 1⁄2 ounces swiss cheese
- thick asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Roll the pastry into a 16-by-10 inch rectangle and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Lightly score the dough with a knife 1-inch from the edges to form a rectangular outer edge. With a fork, pierce the dough inside the edge at half-inch intervals. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pastry from the oven to scatter the cheese on top. Alternate the asparagus tip to end in a single layer on the cheese.
- Brush with oil and season to taste. Bake until asparagus is tender, which will take about 20 to 25 minutes.
I absolutely loved this tart! I used about 1-1/2 cups of a gruyere-swiss cheese blend, and freshly ground coarse salt and pepper. Use a good quality olive oil if you can; I think it makes a difference in this recipe. Thank you, I will be making this again soon!