Recipe by Elly in Canada
A simple to prepare and lovely to look at asparagus tart, perfect for an Easter brunch or any time! Posting for safe keeping! Source: Canadian Living Magazine
- 2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
- 1 (450 g) package puff pastry, all-butter, thawed
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or grease well.
- Steam asparagus in a steamer or on a rack in a skillet until tender-crisp, takes about 3 minutes.
- Immediately remove from pan and chill in cold water to stop cooking; pat dry and set aside.
- Roll out each pastry sheet to fit the baking sheet, place on prepared pans.
- Spread evenly with mustard, leaving 1 inch border around the edges.
- Arrange asparagus, side by side and alternating ends, on the mustard; sprinkle with cheese and pepper.
- In a small bowl, beat egg with milk; lightly brush over the pastry border.
- Bake in oven, rotating pans halfway through, until puffed and golden. Cheese should be bubbly in about 18 minutes.
- To serve: cut each tart into 6 pieces, serve warm or cold.