This is one of my mother's old recipes. She used to serve this for her lady get-togethers. I love this and it is one of my comfort foods.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- butter or margarine
- 8 slices cooked ham (from the deli)
- 4 slices onions
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 16 asparagus spears, cooked
- 4 slices process American cheese
- cheese sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter.
- 2Place 4 slices of bread, buttered side down, on a hot griddle.
- 3On each slice place 2 slices of ham, 1 slice of onion and tomato, 4 asparagus spears, and 1 slice of cheese.
- 4Place remaining 4 slices of bread, buttered side up, on top of cheese.
- 5Cook until sandwiches are golden brown on bottom; turn carefully to brown top slices of bread.
- 6Pour hot cheese sauce over the sandwiches before serving.
- 7Cheese Sauce: Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- 8Add flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 9Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- 10Add cheese, and stir until melted.
- 11**Islice these diagonally, then drizzle with cheese sauce.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus Grill Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 466.1
- Calories from Fat 235
- Total Fat 26.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 71.6 mg
- Sodium 1049.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 20.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: