Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one of my mother's old recipes. She used to serve this for her lady get-togethers. I love this and it is one of my comfort foods.
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- butter or margarine
- 8 slices cooked ham (from the deli)
- 4 slices onions
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 16 asparagus spears, cooked
- 4 slices process American cheese
- cheese sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter.
- Place 4 slices of bread, buttered side down, on a hot griddle.
- On each slice place 2 slices of ham, 1 slice of onion and tomato, 4 asparagus spears, and 1 slice of cheese.
- Place remaining 4 slices of bread, buttered side up, on top of cheese.
- Cook until sandwiches are golden brown on bottom; turn carefully to brown top slices of bread.
- Pour hot cheese sauce over the sandwiches before serving.
- Cheese Sauce: Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Add flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Add cheese, and stir until melted.
- **Islice these diagonally, then drizzle with cheese sauce.
This was really a great sandwich. Silly me ate the sandwich and then remembered I didn't take a picture. I know I will make it again and I will submit a pic then. The only thing I changed was I left out the tomatoes and put on one side of the sandwich a bit of Grey Poupon course grain mustard. The bread I used was white mountain bread because I used my Panini press and that bread works better than regular sandwich bread. Delicious.....Thanks for posting this recipe.
This was so yummy and delicious. Perfect on a cold, rainy night. Very easy to assemble. Asparagus, ham, and cheese--Great combination. The cheese sauce just puts it over the top. Thanks Nurse Di for a new family favorite.