1/1 Photo of Asparagus Gratin...fancy and Good!
No other vegetable signals spring like asparagus. In this recipe, it makes for a rich, creamy side dish that's beyond delicious. We love it with a simple roast chicken. Please note: this is an adopted recipe and I hope to make it soonest. If you make it before I do, I would appreciate feedback, Thanks ! ZWT REGION:Italy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallot (about 2 large)
- 4 slices firm white bread, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (1 1/4 oz)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1Butter a 2- to 2 1/2-quart shallow ceramic flameproof baking dish.
- 2Cook asparagus in a 5- to 6-quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- 3Drain in a colander, then transfer to baking dish and keep warm, tightly covered with foil.
- 4Meanwhile, heat oil and butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over high heat until foam subsides, then cook shallots, stirring occasionally, until pale golden, about 3 minutes.
- 5Add bread and pine nuts and cook, stirring, until browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add pepper, 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, tossing to combine.
- 6Preheat broiler.
- 7Toss warm asparagus with mascarpone, remaining 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt until combined well.
- 8Sprinkle bread-crumb mixture evenly over asparagus. Broil 5 to 7 inches from heat until topping is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus Gratin...fancy and Good!
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 357.8
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 25.5 mg
- Sodium 738.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 14.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: