Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This makes a light dinner with a salad or a nice appetizer.
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 lb.)
- 1⁄2 lb puff pastry, defrosted if frozen
- 1⁄2 lb soft fresh goat cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg yolk, mixed with
- 1⁄2 teaspoon water
- Heat the oven to 450°F.
- In a medium frying pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minute Transfer to paper towels. Pour off all but 1 Tbs. of the bacon fat from the pan. Add the shallot to the pan and sauté for about 1 minute Add the asparagus and cook over medium-high heat until the asparagus is crisp-tender, about 5 minute Remove the pan from the heat. Crumble the bacon into tiny pieces and mix it with the asparagus and shallot.
- On a lightly floured piece of kitchen parchment, roll out the pastry to a 10x16-inch rectangle. Transfer the pastry and the parchment to a baking sheet.
- Using your fingers, pat the goat cheese onto the pastry, spreading it as evenly as you can and leaving a 1-inch border around the edge. Sprinkle the asparagus, bacon, and shallot mixture evenly over the goat cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the edge of the tart with the egg wash. Bake until the pastry is golden brown, 20 to 25 minute (be sure to cook the pastry fully to get it light and crisp). Let cool slightly and serve warm.