1/2 Photos of Asparagus Fried Rice
GT in SA's Note:
We often have fried rice in various guises, either as accompaniment or as a one-dish light meal. In this version, fresh asparagus gives nuttiness and crisp texture that cannot be achieved with the canned product. TIP: 1. It is essential for the cooked rice to be loose-grained. Either pre-wash the rice in cold water to remove the free starch or allow cooked rice to cool to room temperature and then fluff with two-pronged fork. Attempting the latter with unwashed warm rice will result in a sticky mush. Cooking time does not include cooking the rice as this step can be done in advance. 2. A non-stick or seasoned carbon steel wok is most suitable for stir-frying rice. VARIATIONS: 1. Replace the asparagus with chopped mushrooms, fresh peppers, bacon, ham, canned tuna or any other ingredient, or any combination. Also add scrambled raw egg to the rice while constantly stirring in final stages of frying for added flavour. 2. Replace red onion with white, green or spring, or shallots as and when available. 3. Spiciness is varied by adding more or less crushed chillies and using fresh green or red chillies add to colour. 4. Rice can be cooked in any stock of your choice, or add two teaspoonsful of any soup powder mix to the water in which the rice is cooked to achieve subtle variations in taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups cooked rice, cooked in
- chicken stock
- 1 cup green asparagus spear, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon red chile, crushed (optional)
- salt & pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter (for frying) or 3 tablespoons yellow margarine (for frying) or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1Stir-fry onion, garlic and asparagus in oil or butter over high heat until asparagus is crisp-tender.
- 2Add cooked rice and chillies and stir-fry until rice is heated through.
- 3Season to taste.
- 4Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus Fried Rice
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 275.6
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 22.9 mg
- Sodium 83.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 4.7 g