I guess I have summer on my mind, because I only eat tomatoes when they come fresh from the garden (or garden stand). Then, there is nothing like a nice tomato salad. This recipe is a great combination, and surprisingly light. And it is pretty quick to pull together!
- 3 ripe large tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 ounces asparagus spears
- 4 ounces Fontina cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread or 1 loaf French bread
- Core tomatoes and slice crosswise. Cut onion crosswise into thin slices. Layer onion and tomato slices in shallow dish.
- Stir vinegar, sugar, 1 t. salt, and 1/4 t. pepper together until sugar dissolves, then pour over salad. Let stand at room temperature until ready to serve.
- Heat broiler.
- Trim tough ends from asparagus and cut into 1-inch pieces. Shred Fontina to make 1 cup. Mix cheese, eggs, 1/8 t. salt, and 1/4 t. pepper in mixing bowl.
- Heat butter in flameproof medium skillet over medium heat. Add asparagus and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Pour egg mixture over asparagus and cook, without stirring, until eggs are barely set, 10-12 minutes. Transfer to broiler and broil 6 inches from heat until top is browned, about 2 minutes. Cut frittata into wedges.
- Sprinkle parsley over salad. Serve frittata, salad, and bread.
What a wonderful supper!! I fixed the tomato and red onion salad about an hour ahead and marinated. All the flavors went together so beautifully; great meal!! Thank you, Jackie!! Made for the Eggs/Dairy Event in Cooking Photos.