1 hr 25 mins
Jeff Hixson's Note:
This savory flan has an intense asparagus flavor. Its texture is unusually tender for a flan, without a trace of egginess. Originally posted by Mean Chef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1Make flan: Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2Butter an 8- by 2-inch round cake pan and line bottom with a round of wax paper, then butter paper.
- 33Steam asparagus in a steamer set over boiling water, covered, until very tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 4Purée asparagus in a food processor until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 5(You will have about 2 cups purée.) Whisk together eggs, milk, cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a bowl, then whisk in asparagus purée.
- 6Pour asparagus mixture into pan and bake in a hot water bath until flan is set and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- 7Transfer pan to a rack to cool slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 8Make sauce while flan cools: Put all sauce ingredients in a metal bowl, then set bowl over a pan of barely simmering water.
- 9Heat sauce, whisking until cheese and butter are melted, and then stirring with a wooden spoon, until sauce is slightly thickened and registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, 5 to 8 minutes.
- 10Remove bowl from pan.
- 11Run a thin knife around edge of flan to loosen, then invert a serving plate over pan and invert flan onto plate.
- 12Remove pan and discard paper.
- 13Cut flan into wedges and serve immediately with sauce.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus Flan With Cheese Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.7
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 185.0 mg
- Sodium 583.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 12.4 g