Recipe by Jenny Sanders
Our favourite early summer salad. Be sure your Feta is not too salty, though the pleasure of this salad is the contrast between the salty cheese and dressing and the rich smooth flavours of the pumpkin seeds and the asparagus. Also the pumpkin seeds give it a great crunch. As a meal, the two of us will eat the whole thing.
- 1 bunch leaf lettuce or 1 bunch boston lettuce
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 1⁄3 cup green pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tamari or 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, pick over, dry and tear up the lettuce.
- Trim the asparagus, and steam it.
- As soon as it is cooked, plunge it into cold water to stop it from cooking any further.
- When it is cool, drain well and cut it into inch long pieces.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they"pop" and turn light brown.
- Turn them out at once to cool on a plate.
- Cut the feta cheese into 1 cm cubes.
- Mix the oil, vinegar, tamari or soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, cumin and celery seed.
- Arrange the lettuce in a salad bowl, with the asparagus, cheese, and pumpkin seeds over it, and drizzle the dressing over the salad immediately before serving.