1 hr 22 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
From LCBO's Food and Drink Magazine. This superb German-inspired tart uses both green and white asparagus, although you could substitute either kind. It looks especially attractive if you lay 2 spears of green then 1 spear white, turning the white so that its head is next to the stem of the green. If the stalks are thick they will need to be peeled - otherwise don't bother. If Taleggio is unavailable, use Gruyère. Cooking time includes resting time for yeast and dough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons soft butter, cut into pieces
- 1Place water in a medium bowl and sprinkle in yeast and sugar.
- 2Stir until dissolved and let stand for 10 minutes or until foamy.
- 3Add yeast mixture, egg, salt, flour and butter into food processor.
- 4Process until dough forms into a ball (Dough should be soft but not sticky). Add more flour if the dough seems sticky.
- 5Place dough in a clean, lightly oiled bowl, and cover with a tea towel.
- 6Put in a warm place for 20 minutes or until dough has relaxed
- 7and is slightly puffy.
- 8Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- 9Bring a skillet of water to boil on high heat.
- 10Add asparagus and boil for 2 minutes.
- 11Drain and rinse well with cold water until cool.
- 12Heat butter in pot over medium heat.
- 13Add flour and stir together until incorporated.
- 14Pour in milk and cream, slowly whisking to incorporate. Bring to boil whisking until thickened.
- 15Season well with salt and pepper and stir in parsley. Reserve.
- 16Punch down dough and roll out into an approximately 10 x 14-inch rectangle and place on a baking sheet.
- 17Brush sauce over base, leaving a 2-inch (5-cm) border.
- 18Top with asparagus and cover with cheese.
- 19Brush edges with water and fold over to form a crimped edge.
- 20Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until dough is browned underneath and cooked through and filling is hot.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus Croustade
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.1
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 77.4 mg
- Sodium 300.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 8.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: