Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
"The most cherished of all the vegetables in Germany is asparagus. Although the green variety is enjoyed in many dishes, the most prized is white asparagus. Either variety works well in this Asparagus Cream Soup" from Classic International Recipes. The serving amount is for 6 side dish or appetizer servings, not for a meal. I'd say it is 2 or 3 servings if used as a main dish soup.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans asparagus spears or 2 (10 ounce) packagesfrozen asparagus spears, thawed or 2 lbs fresh white asparagus
- 3 cups milk or 3 cups light cream
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- parsley, snipped for garnish
- Drain canned asparagus or thaw and drain frozen. If using fresh, snap off the tough ends, wash, and steam for 3 to 5 minutes until tender. Cut the tips off the asparagus spears and set aside. In a blender, combine asparagus stalks and milk or cream; cover and blend until smooth.
- In a saucepan cook the shallots in hot butter until they are tender but not brown. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the asparagus mixture all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- Slowly stir about half of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks. Return all to the pan. Stir in the reserved asparagus tips. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle snipped parsley on top, if desired.
I am sorry to have to say that I found this recipe very bland and uninteresting.
Since it was a raw nasty day and I had frozen asparagus in the freezer, I decided to make this soup. I thought it was also a good way to get my GS to eat vegetables. I used 1 cup heavy cream and 2 cups whole milk. I'm glad my chef trained DD was here as I had no idea about the process of tempering an egg and probably would have messed up that part. All and all it was an easy soup to make and I like the touch of having the asparagus tips in the soup. I feel that the soup would benefit with the addition of garlic. Made for Winter Photo tag.
Made today for a soup and sandwiches lunch. Easy and fairly quick to put together and really good instructions. The delicate flavour of the asparagus really came through. Adults liked this more than the kids. Thanks.