1 hr 10 mins
Gandalf The White's Note:
This was a demonstration recipe at Charlotte Anne Albertson's Cooking School (Wynnewood, PA), for "Awesome Soups with Brian Duffy" (Jan 24, 2006). Brian Duffy (http://www.chefduff.com) hosted the Food Network shows "Date Plate" and "Hot Trends 2005" and is executive chef at Shanachie, an Irish restaurant in Ambler, PA. Shanachie specializes in soups ... and this is one of their most frequently requested seafood soups, especially in the spring, when fresh asparagus is available. Crab claw meat is less expensive and more flavorful than lump crab meat and so is the ingredient of choice. Recipe will make 3/4 gallon, approximately 12 8 oz servings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs fresh asparagus
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 onion, medium dice
- 1/4 bunch celery, medium dice
- 1/2 carrot, medium dice
- 3/4 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 3/4 tablespoon dry tarragon
- 1 1/2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 1/2 gallon water
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons white pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter
- 1/2 lb flour
- 3/4 lb crabmeat
- 1Slice the asparagus tips (about 1- 1 1/2 inches) off the spears and reserve. Slice the asparagus spears into thin slices.
- 2In a large soup pot, combine all the ingredients except the crab and the asparagus. Add 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper.
- 3Bring to a simmer, then let the vegetables soften and the flavors meld for about 10 minutes. DO NOT allow the liquid to boil at this time.
- 4Make the roux: add the butter to a sautee pan under medium heat; when the butter has melted, add the flour, mix until the flour has cooked but retains a light color (about 5-7 minutes).
- 5NOTE: any extra roux can be frozen and used at a later time.
- 6Puree the liquid and vegetables, preferably using an immersion blender. If you must use a stand blender (or food processor), put in small batches (no more than 1/3-1/2 the volume of the blender container), so you don't send hot liquid all around and burn yourself.
- 7Strain through a chinois (china cap) or through cheesecloth.
- 8Return the liquid to the soup pot, bring to a boil, and thicken with the roux. Turn the heat down so the liquid simmers but does not boil. Adjust seasonging (salt and pepper) as needed.
- 9Add the crab and heat for 20-30 minutes.
- 10Add the asparagus slices (but NOT the tips) to the soup, allow to simmer for about 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning (salt and pepper) as needed.
- 11Plate into individual soup bowls, garnish with asparagus tips. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus, Crab & Tarragon Bisque Shanachie
Serving Size: 1 (422 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 530.9
- Calories from Fat 407
- Total Fat 45.2 g
- Saturated Fat 28.1 g
- Cholesterol 161.2 mg
- Sodium 672.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 11.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning