Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
The whole family enjoys this. Adapted from Quick Cooking.
Make and share this Asparagus Crab Au Gratin recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen asparagus cuts, thawed and drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed or 1 cup flaked imitation crabmeat
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- Place asparagus in a greased 1-qt. baking dish.
- Top with crab and cheese and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Whisk in milk, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Pour over asparagus.
- Melt remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
This was a very tasty recipe. So quick and easy. Thanks for posting.
I made a few changes. I started with fresh crabmeat and fresh asparagus. I added a sauted red pepper and 3 scallions. I added 1/2 cup of dry sherry to the white sauce and I topped it with buttered Ritz cracker crumbs. It was absolutely delicious. The 2 of us almost finished the whole casserole.
I made this for the "Cooking from the Pantry Challenge" and it was a great success. I made just a few minor changes to suit what I had on hand. I added 1/2 C of fresh scallops that I needed to use up and added about 1/4 C of swiss cheese on top of the cheddar that the recipe called for. I also added about 1/4 tsp of garlic powder to the roux before adding the milk in. An excellent dish that I will be sure to make again. Thanks for the recipe!