Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
from 100 recipes for low-fat meals by sunset magazine
- 2 large oranges (1/2 lb each)
- 3⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 -4 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- 12 thick purple asparagus spears (about 1 lb total)
- 1 medium red onion
- Peel orange and remove white membrane. Remove membranes from sections. Squeeze 2 tablespoons juice from membranes into a bowl.
- To the bowl, add 1/4 cup vinegar, sugar to taste depending on sweetness of oranges, and tarragon. Mix and pour into a pitcher.
- In a frying pan boil about 1 inch of water and remaining 1/4 cup vinegar. Add spears to boiling water. Cook, uncovered, until asparagus is just tender when pierced, about 4 minutes. Drain and immerse in ice cold water. Drain.
- Crisp onion slices: Thinly slice onion. Put in a bowl with water to cover. Squeeze onions to bruise slightly; drain. Add 4 cups ice cubes, 2 cups water, and 1/4 cup vinegar. Let stand until crisp, 20 - 30 minutes. Drain and discard ice.
- Divide onion slices among 4 plates. Arrange spears and orange segments on plates. Add dressing. Salt and pepper to taste.