Recipe by Debi
This is a very tasty family favourite that I've slightly modified from the original which came from a great cookbook called Thai Cooking & More. NOTE: Just so there's no confusion - this recipe uses a prepared Chinese Black Bean Sauce - NOT your regular black beans. This can be found with the ethnic foods at your local grocer - usually where you find soy sauce etc. This is also where you'll find the hot chili paste - my preference is Sombel Oelek NOTE#2 - prep time includes 30 minute marinating time
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce, prepared chinese
- 1 teaspoon hot chili paste, I prefer Sombel Oelek
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed and diagonally cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- For marinade: Combine 2 tsp cornstarch, 2 tsp soy sauce, sherry and sesame oil in a large bowl; mix well. Add chicken'; stir to coat well. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Combine black bean sauce, hot chili paste, ginger and garlic; set aside.
- Conbine remaining 3 tsp cornstarch, remaining 2 tsp soy sauce, chicken broth and oyster sauce in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Peel onion, cut into 8 wedges. Seperate wedges; set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp vegetable oil in wok or large skillet over high heat. Add chicken; stir-fry until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from wok; set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp vegetable oil in wok. Add onion and asparagus; stir-fry 30 seconds.
- Add water; cover. Cover, stirring occassionaly, until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. return chicken to wok.
- Stir chicken broth mixture; add to wok with black bean mixture. Cook until sauce boils and thickens, stirring occassionally.
- Serve over or with rice.