2 hrs 40 mins
Sweet Diva's Note:
Adapted from Taste of Home. This creamy, flavorful chowder is wonderful. Just a tip: I mega-cook (OAMC) when I can and will roast 4 chickens at once and then cut-up the meat to freeze, so I always have chicken meat on hand for recipes such as this one, which reduces the cooking time considerably. I also substitute canned evaporated skimmed or low-fat milk for the whipping cream, which cuts the fat and calories significantly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 broiler chickens (3 to 3-1/2 pounds) or 1 broiler-fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 3 1/2 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 5 slices bacon, strips diced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces or 1 (10 ounce) box frozen asparagus, thawed
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream or 1 1/2 cups canned reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1Place chicken, water and bouillon in a Dutch oven or soup kettle.
- 2Cover and slowly bring to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- 3Remove chicken from broth; let stand until cool enough to handle.
- 4Remove 1 cup broth and set aside.
- 5In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- 6Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- 7Saute the carrots, onion and fresh asparagus (if using frozen asparagus, do not add until the end of the recipe) in drippings over medium heat until crisp-tender.
- 8Add to kettle along with the potatoes, salt, thyme and pepper; return to a boil.
- 9Reduce heat;cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 10Combine flour and reserved broth until smooth; stir into soup.
- 11Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 12Remove chicken from bones;discard bones and skin.
- 13Cut chicken into thin strips; add to soup.
- 14along with cream and parsley (and thawed frozen asparagus, if using).
- 15Heat through (do not boil).
- 16Sprinkle with bacon just before serving. Yield: 16-18 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus Chicken Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.9
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 78.5 mg
- Sodium 601.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 13.2 g