Top Review by GinnyP
Dancer, what a fantastic recipe! I made this four days ago and have been enjoying it for breakfast ever since! I needed to use my asparagus, zucchini, broccoli, homemade bread, and bacon. I found this recipe and Voila'! I had Montery Jack on hand so I used that, too. I just love recipes that do that--easily let ingredients change based on what's on hand without compromising the recipe. What a delicious budget stretcher!
- 4 cups firm white bread, cubes
- 8 stalks asparagus, peeled and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded jarlsberg cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1⁄4 cup parsley (optional)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, stir together bread cubes, asparagus, 1 cup shredded cheese and the cilantro or parsley, if using.
- In a small bowl, beat together eggs, milk and salt.
- Add to bread cube mixture and stir to combine.
- Transfer to greased baking dish; top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Wrap tightly and refrigerate until ready to bake--several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover baking dish and place on rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cut strata into 6 rectangles and serve with sour cream.