Recipe by Irmgard
I found this wonderful recipe in one of the calendars put out every year by the Ontario Milk Marketing Board. It's a great way to use up cooked asparagus if you have any left from Sunday dinner.
Top Review by bchzoo_10627973
This is just delicious! The only thing I had to change was the Dijon because I didn't have any.I used German coarse ground mustard and it gave the best zip and even a little texture to the crust. Definitely a keeper!
- 1 partially baked pie shell (10 or 11 inch)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh dill (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1 lb cooked asparagus, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brush the partially baked pie shell with mustard.
- Melt butter.
- Cook onion until tender but do not brown.
- Combine onion with dill, asparagus and cheese.
- Spoon evenly into the pie shell.
- Beat eggs.
- Add milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne.
- Pour the mixture over the asparagus and cheese.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until just set.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving.