Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Really tasty. If asparagus is out of season, use frozen asparagus or broccoli.
Make and share this Asparagus Cheddar Quiche recipe from Food.com.
- 1 partially baked 10 inch pastry shells
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, finely chopped (or 1 tsp dried, crumbled)
- 1 lb cooked asparagus, stems coarsely chopped,tips kept in 2 inch long pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brush partially baked pastry shell with mustard.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter.
- Cook onion until tender but do not brown.
- Combine onion with dill, chopped asparagus stems and cheese.
- Spoon evenly into pastry shell.
- Arrange asparagus tips decoratively around quiche.
- Beat eggs with yolks.
- Add milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne.
- Pour over asparagus and cheese.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until just set.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving.
I served this at a family gathering and everyone loved it. Important tips: don't use those standard 9 inch pie crusts - they're way too small. Think deep dish. I used about 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper and really didn't notice it. Add more for a little zing.