Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Though I'm not particularly a fan of canned asparagus, this casserole version produces a mighty fine dish...it's all in the sauce.
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) canscut asparagus spears, reserving 2 tbs liquid
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 cup grated very mild cheddar cheese (etc.) or 1 cup monterey jack cheese (etc.)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup finely crumbled saltines or 1⁄4 cup hi-ho cracker
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Melt 2 tbs butter in microwave-proof bowl, then stir in flour till smooth.
- Add 2 tbs liquid from canned asparagus to flour mixure; stir well.
- Stir in sour cream, grated cheese, salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
- Thoroughly drain one can asparagus and arrange in bottom of ungreased 9"x2" square casserole.
- Cover evenly with half the sour cream mixture.
- Thoroughly drain second can asparagus and layer.
- Top with remaining sour cream mixture.
- Melt 3 tbs butter and mix with cracker crumbs; spread evenly.
- Bake uncovered 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.
This was just wonderful. I used Ritz crackers for the topping. The family thought it should be made again. Thanks for posting.
Decadently delicious and rich! I'm not a fan of canned asparagus, but this was absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing. Made for PRMR Holiday Special.
This is a great casserole that makes even canned asparagus taste good! Loved the topping on this. I used bread crumbs instead of cracker crumbs, otherwise made as directed. Thanks for posting your recipe!