Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies!
Make and share this Asparagus Cashew Stir-Fry recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups brown rice, hot cooked (or white, whichever you prefer)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 dash white pepper
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, woody and fibrous bits removed, tender part cut into 3" lengths (3 cups)
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup unsalted dry-roasted cashews or 1 cup slivered almonds
- mandarin orange section (optional)
- toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Cook or reheat brown rice according to package directions.
- In small bowl, combine soy sauce and cornstarch. Stir in remaining sauce ingredients; set aside.
- Heat a wok or large heavy skillet over high temperature; when very hot, add the oil ("Hot wok, cold oil, food won't stick!").
- Add the asparagus, scallions, pepper, and garlic and stirfy until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir the sauce mixture again, then pour it over the vegetables and stir until it is thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; add cashews and stir.
- Cover and cook 1 minute, until cashews are heated through.
- Garnish with mandarin orange sections and/or toasted sesame seeds, and serve over cooked rice.
- Note: 3-4 cups broccoli florets may be substituted for asparagus, if desired.
Nice, delicious, and simple to make. Optional - add Chinese mushrooms (xiang gu) to stir - fry with asparagus.
We loved this recipe! Omitted the rice this time as we were so hungry. We will make this again and I'll steam some rice in my rice cooker. Julesong, thanks for a great new asparagus recipe. I think we'll make it again tonight as we have about 5 pounds of asparagus in the refrigerator.
We loved this! Very good and very good as leftovers, the sauce was great over the rice. I didn't add the bell pepper, and used toasted slivered almonds. The Beau didn't care for the mandarin oranges, next time I may leave those off. Fabulously easy and asparagus season is here!