Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe at allrecipes.com and have made it a few times. It is a very elegant dish in presentation and combines two side dishes into one. Give it a try.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 ounces uncooked spaghetti, broken
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup cashew halves
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Increase heat to medium, and stir in spaghetti, cooking until coated with the melted butter and lightly browned.
- Stir onion and garlic into the saucepan, and cook about 2 minutes, until tender.
- Stir in jasmine rice, and cook about 5 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable broth.
- Season mixture with salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and cook 20 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed.
- Place asparagus in a separate medium saucepan with enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, and cook until tender but firm.
- Mix asparagus and cashew halves into the rice mixture, and serve warm.
I've made this dozens of times (love it) and even served it to a large group, it was a hit! Sometimes you need to add some more broth, so keep an eye on it. I prefer to cook my onions a little longer than 2 minutes, so I cook them until they're soft, then add the garlic to cook for an additional 1 minute.
Great side dish, I did not have any fresh asparagus but did have some frozen, it worked out well....I used chicken broth instead of vegetable broth...will make again for sure.
My family really enjoyed this as a side dish for dinner. The jasmine rice complemented the recipe very well. Will definitely be making this again. Thanks! UPDATE: 10/24/07---made this dish several times now and want to say again how delicious it is. It makes a nice presentation and gives you a vegetable and starch all in one. I'm probably using 12-16oz. of asparagus. Now one of our favorite side dishes!