Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a delicious, impressive dish. The ingredients are a little expensive, so you may only want to have one couple over to dinner ;) This recipe is by Massimo Capra a chef in Toronto. Modifications I have done and like better: Use two pieces of Prosciutto per cannelloni to cover whole sheet of pasta. Instead of buying white and green asparagus, works just as well with all green asparagus. To cheat on the sauce, you can just use Campbell's Roasted Red Pepper soup and add the leeks and green peas.
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup white flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup asiago cheese, shredded
- 8 sheets fresh pasta (6 x 6 inches)
- 24 small green asparagus, precooked
- 8 white asparagus, precooked
- 8 slices italian prosciutto
- 8 slices asiago cheese
- 2 cups carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 cup peas, precooked
- Bechemel Sauce:.
- In a saucepan melt the butter and flour.
- Mix well and allow it to take a golden colour, then remove from heat and cool one minute.
- Bring milk to a boil and add to flour & butter mixture, mixing well to prevent lumps.
- Bring to boil and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and add shredded Asiago cheese.
- Cook the pasta sheets in salted water, cool them in icy water and dry with towel.
- Lay the pasta sheets out evenly.
- On each sheet spread bechemel, then lay a slice of prosciutto, asiago and place 3 green and one white asparagus at one end, allowing the asparagus to stick out evenly at each end.
- Roll tightly starting at end with the asparagus to create a log and cut in three even pieces.
- In a baking dish with a pre-buttered bottom, stand the cannelloni upright and nestle the rolls together.
- Spread any left-over bechemel on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.
- Simmer carrots in vegetable stock for about 10 minutes, season to taste and set aside to cool.
- Puree the stock and carrots in the blender, then strain to remove any larger pieces. Set aside.
- Sauté the leeks in the butter and oil, season to taste. Once soft, add carrot stock and simmer a minute.
- Place some of the sauce in the bottom of each of the four bowls. Place the cannelloni in the centre, nestled against each other. Sprinkle olive oil and grated cheese on top and serve. Each guest should get 6 pieces.