Recipe by SmHerndon
The flavor is indescribable. It exceeded all our expectations! I am posting this side dish because I want to encourage everyone to try this wonderful recipe. It is semi-sweet and very rich. Let me know what you think! Don't remember where I found it, but it's a staple at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and throughout the year. *The recipe calls for green beans, but I have only made it with Asparagus.
Top Review by didyb
I used fresh asparagus and cooked a little longer-- which made the bacon crispy as well. I'll cut back to 1/4 cup butter next time. Tastes great! The asparagus tips were crunchy and carmalized.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans asparagus spears or 20 ounces long green beans
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 2 cloves garlic or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Gently wrap approximately 5 beans or asparagus stalks with 1/2 slice bacon and secure with toothpick. Continue until all beans/stalks are wrapped.
- Place in casserole dish.
- Simmer garlic, brown sugar and butter for 5 minutes and pour over beans/stalks.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes or 350°F for 35 minutes (or until tender& hot).