Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is quite easy to make and nice for a weekend breakfast or even to take as a snack, when you're running out the door.
- 1 sheet ready rolled shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 3 eggs
- 3 -4 spring onions, washed and chopped
- 1 ounce butter
- 5 -8 ounces brie cheese
- 4 fluid ounces milk
- 4 fluid ounces single cream
- 3 -4 ounces asparagus spears, blanched
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C or 400°F.
- Use pastry to line a 9 inch round flan tin or dish.
- Melt butter and lightly fry the spring onions.
- Meanwhile, cut the rind from the cheese and chop into small cubes.
- Throw cheese, eggs, cream and milk into a food processor (or use a hand mixer in a bowl) and blend until smooth.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Scatter onions on base of pastry, pour in cheese mixture and place asparagus spears in a spoke pattern on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until set and lightly browned.
What a lovely dish. I loved the flavors of the brie and spring onions. Very tasty! It was easy to make, and I held it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before baking, and it was ok. After it was baked it looked beautiful. I served it with a spinach salad and mini muffins. Thanks Friedel for posting this wonderful dish.
Oh, my goody-goodness this recipe just has SPRING written all over it. The creamy brie, the asparagus, the green onions *sigh*. Absolutely lovely and delicious. I made this for Freezer Tag 2008. I made one and baked right away, then froze half to reheat later. The other I made as a "dump recipe" to thaw in the fridge and pour into a prepared pie crust and bake as usual. The pre-baked one was okay when reheat in the oven, but not the microwave. In the microwave it was rubbery and the crust soggy, but in the oven it was almost as good as freshly baked. The thawed *then* baked version was wonderful. I chopped the asparagus and mixed it in for this version, but only the pretty look was changed, The taste was still a much-needed breath of Spring. Make this when asparagus is in season and the use other blanched veggies (like broccoli or spinach) when it isn't. No matter what the season, I highly recommend this dish!
this was excellent!