Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is sooo good. The asparagus is a nice change. Great for that special Brunch. Plan ahead, needs to refrigerate 12-24 hours before baking.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 lb fresh asparagus, steamed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 8 cups Italian bread, cubed
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese, divided
- 1 cup cooked ham, cubed
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Spray 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add steamed asparagus, red pepper and onion.
- Cook 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the prepared pan layer bread, ham, vegetables and 1 cup cheese.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, milk and seasonings.
- Pour evenly over bread mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate 12-24 hours.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees 45-55 minutes, until golden.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese evenly over top and bake until cheese melts.
- Let cool 10-15 minutes before cutting.
FANTASTIC! You should have more than 5 Stars. I took this casserole to work for one of our monthly breadfasts. I did have to make a dash of changes. They are mostly Vegetarians. (No ham or other meat.) I added a wee more fresh aspargagus. I had steamed my asparagus and didn't add them while doing step 3. (I didn't want them over-cooked) However, while doing step 3, I added 2 minced jalapeno peppers and 8 oz sliced mushrooms. (Seasoned with garlic powder, salt and black pepper) [no ham, no marjoram] I used thin long Italian bread (When sliced almost every little square had a bit of crust) I followed the instructions. My casserole took 50 min. I added the last cup of cheese. I topped it with some asapargus spears I had set aside. Also, I added some cherry tomatoes, that I had cut in half. (A dash of color) I popped into the oven for 6 min. and took it to work. It was perfect! I had to give out your recipe to many. Thank you for a "keeper". I've put the recipe in my "favorites". Can't wait to make it for the holidays. Thank you.
OMG! Best breakfast casserole I have ever eaten. I used croissant's instead of biscuit's, cheddar cheese instead of swiss and I did not use any meat. My husband raved about this dish. I served it drizzled with Balsmic Glaze. This will be the dish I serve for breakfast or brunch when company comes to visit.
I served this for Mother's Day Brunch and loved it! I love the combo of ham, asparagus, and swiss. Instead of steaming the asparagus I just sauted it with the onions and peppers until it was crisp-tender. I think it cut out a step without affecting the flavor. Delish! Thanks for posting!