This is sooo good. The asparagus is a nice change. Great for that special Brunch. Plan ahead, needs to refrigerate 12-24 hours before baking.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 lb fresh asparagus, steamed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 8 cups Italian bread, cubed
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese, divided
- 1 cup cooked ham, cubed
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Spray 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add steamed asparagus, red pepper and onion.
- Cook 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the prepared pan layer bread, ham, vegetables and 1 cup cheese.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, milk and seasonings.
- Pour evenly over bread mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate 12-24 hours.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees 45-55 minutes, until golden.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese evenly over top and bake until cheese melts.
- Let cool 10-15 minutes before cutting.