Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Allow at least two hours for soaking prior to baking.
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed
- 12 slices day-old egg bread, 1/2-inch slices
- 2 3⁄4 cups milk
- 8 eggs
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- butter, for baking dish
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded provolone cheese
- chopped fresh herb, to taste (rosemary, thyme, chives or tarragon)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces on the diagonal.
- Steam asparagus for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly tender.
- Chill under cold running water; drain well.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, salt and pepper until well blended.
- Butter a 12 ½ x 8 x 4-inch oval casserole dish (or 12-cup baking dish).
- Layer 4 slices of bread in dish, overlapping as necessary.
- Top with one-third each of asparagus, Provolone and herbs. Repeat layering.
- Pour egg mixture over top.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or for up to 1 day to let egg mixture soak into bread.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle pudding with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake on middle rack for about 60 minutes or until centre is set and top is golden.