Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a very simple dish that has always gotten rave reviews when I serve it.
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 -6 bocconcini (small balls of fresh mozzarella)
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (balsamic would be nice)
- Spray the asparagus lightly with an olive oil spray and stick the in the oven at 400°F/190°C with a few thinly sliced garlic cloves for about 5 minutes.
- To assemble: place asparagus on a plate, scatter bocconcini and olives on top and sprinkle combined oil and vinegar dressing over.
- If you like you may add a few leaves of roughly chopped fresh basil leaves as an added garnish.
- Serve either at room temp or refrigerate till serving time.
This is an excellent way of serving asparagus, which is one of my favorite vegetables. I made it as directed (with balsamic vinegar), except that I added the bocconcini to the asparagus while it was in the pan to make sure it melted and then carefully moved it to a serving dish. So good!
This made such a tasty meal I really enjoyed it immensely. I did a few variations - as I had no balls of mozzerlla cheese I just sprinkled finely chopped mozzeralla to the asparagush after 5 minutes cooking, giving the cheese 5 minutes to melt into the asparagus. The result was just so good. I had no fresh basil but in the UK rocket salad, which has a lovely peppery taste worked well. I also cooked large stuffed mushrooms in the same dish using my own recipe with garlic, feta cheese and some other ingredients. I'll have to publish this recipe here, but the resulting combination of aspargus and stuffed mushrooms was excellent. Thanks so much Mirj :)
Just imagine, fresh asparagus roasted with garlic. Now add fresh Mozzarella cheese and Greek olives and top with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I added salt and fresh ground black pepper and served it at room temperature. So simple yet so delicious. Thanks, Mirj it's a treasure!