Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Light and healthy. This can be a great starter, nice side salad, toss on some chicken or grilled salmon or scallops and make this a main dish. Perfect for a Holiday meal and is so easy. Store bought bagged greens, a can of cannelloni beans, a simple vinaigrette which is made ahead and uses fresh lightly blanched asparagus. Easy and quick and so healthy. You will spend a little extra for the micro greens, but it is well worth it. I took this on a big platter for a pot luck and topped it with my smoked salmon and the dressing. It was gone in 10 minutes. It really is a nice salad.
- 473.18 ml asparagus (cut in 2-inch pieces on an angle, ends trimmed)
- 2 (850.48 g) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (you can add more or less if you want)
- 709.77 ml arugula
- 473.18 ml micro greens (you can use any of your favorites, I usually just grab what looks fresh, pea shoots are one that I l)
- 1 small onion, cut in half and very thin sliced
- 236.59 ml pecorino romano cheese, grated (parmesan will work fine, NO green can please)
- 4.92 ml fresh dill
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 44.37 ml champagne vinegar (this is the key to this salad for me, but a white wine vinegar will also work)
- 118.29 ml Dijon mustard
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
- 2.46 ml minced garlic
- lemon wedge
- fresh sprig dill
- Asparagus -- In a small sauce pan, fill with about 1" or a bit less of water and salt and bring to a low boil. Add the asparagus and cook, just 2-3 minutes depending on it's thickness. Then immediately remove and add to a ice bath. Just a bowl of water with ice. This will stop the cooking and keep the asparagus a bright green color (call blanching). Just let them cool off in the ice bath for a minute then remove and let drain and dry.
- Vinaigrette -- Just mix the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, garlic, lemon, sugar, salt, and pepper. I like to use a small tupperware and then I just shake it up. You can also mix it in a small measuring cup or bowl. Whatever is easier for you.
- Salad -- In a small bowl, I like to add the beans (drained and rinsed), asparagus, dill, and just a couple of teaspoons of the vinaigrette (not too much) and toss well.
- Greens -- On your serving platter, I add the arugula, micro greens, onion and a squeeze of one of the lemon wedges and another couple of spoons of the vinaigrette and toss lightly. Then top with the asparagus and bean mixture. Just lightly toss.
- Top the whole thing with the pecorino romano, a sprig of dill and the lemon slices around the side.
- Serve -- Grill some salmon or possibly chicken - slice and top the salad. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the top. This makes an amazing dinner.
This was such a yummy lunch!! The only thing I changed was to cut it in half. I had BBQ'd a chicken breast and sliced up and shared one on top of the salad and poured a bit of the dressing on it. The dressing was so flavorful. I love champagne vinigar and agree with you that it makes a big difference. It has such a great flavor versus just the regular vinigar. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe SarasotaCook. I will be making this again.