Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is one of a number of recipes found in a shoebox in my grandmother's house. I have made this recently with frozen asparagus, skipping the first saute step and cutting down the amount of butter.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced fresh asparagus
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup cracker crumb
- Melt 2 tbsps butter in a large skillet.
- Saute aspargus 2-3 minutes or until just tender.
- Remove and reserve.
- In the same skillet, saute onion in 2 tbsps butter until soft and transparent.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper.
- Cook 1 minute or until flour is well blended.
- Add sour cream and cheese.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts.
- Butter (or spray) a 1 quart baking dish.
- Place asparagus into the prepared dish and top with the cheese and sour cream mixture.
- Sprinkle with cracker crumbs.
- dot with remaining 1 Tbsp of butter.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Can be place under a broiler for final 2 minutes to brown top.